English Blog is proud to announce the starting of a page especially for clearing the doubts of students and teachers. We request the whole hearted support of all of you teachers in clearing the doubts of students. | | |

Monday, April 23, 2012

Idioms and expressions with wish


Idioms and expressions with wish


As you wish
This is an expression used for telling someone that they can do whatever they want.
  • ‘Can I stay for another day?’ ‘Of course, as you wish.’
I wish
This expression is used for telling someone what you want them to do.
  • I wish she would mind her own business.
  • I wish you would stop talking about your problems!
‘I wish’ is also used for saying that something is not true, although you would be very happy if it were true.
  • ‘Did you get that promotion?’ ‘I wish!’ (= I didn’t get that promotion, but I would have been very happy if I had got it.)
Not wish something on anybody / not wish something on your worst enemy
  • It was such an unpleasant experience. I wouldn’t wish it on anybody.
Wish someone well / ill
To wish someone well is to say that you hope good things will happen to them. To wish someone ill is to say that you hope bad things will happen to them.
  • I wished them well as they left on their journey.
To download the original click here

Anyone can comment on this post by clicking on the comments (അഭിപ്രായങ്ങള്‍) link just below this underline.